Next Previous home

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Baigan Curry

I am not a Baigan person, I try to avoid using it while I cook. Recently I happened to go to an Indian Restaurant in NYC and I was forced to try Baigan there, I somehow like the taste. So last week when I was at the Indian Store I picken up Baigan there but dint have the courage to cook but then I made up my mind to give it a go.

Ingredients:

Baigan/Brinjal - 5 nos.
Onion - 1 large
Green Chillies - a few
Curry Leaves - a stalk
Red Chilli Pwd - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Pwd - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind - medium gooseberry size mixed in water
Water
Cooking Oil - 7-8 tbsps
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup

To Dry Fry:

Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds (White) - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Peanuts - 10-15 gms

Method:

1. Dry fry all the seeds separately and skin the Peanuts after roasting.
2. Chop the Onion and fry with a tbsp of Cooking Oil and let it cool.
3. In a mixer put Coconut pieces and Water and grind it well strain the Coconut remains and save the Coconut Milk.
4. Now paste the Onions and all the roasted seeds, add the Coconut Milk to it to make a fine paste.
5. Meanwhile in the same pan add few tbsps of Oil and fry the diced Baigans till goldenbrown remove from flames.
6. In the same pan add chopped Green Chillies and Curry leaves once they splutter add the Onion paste and the remaining Coconut Milk if any and mix well.
7. Add Red Chilli Pwd, Turmeric Pwd and Salt, mix them well until they blend with the paste.
8. Once they start boiling add the Tamarind Water and the Baigans and mix well and let it cook for 5 mins.
9. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and remove from flames.

Serve with: Rice or Dosa

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the color and texture or the gravy. Wish I was there for lunch.

Anonymous said...

Its been a long time since I made Baigans at home nice recipe at the right time.

Anonymous said...

Neednt have to say how good this dish will be tamarind, coconut and peanuts wonderful.

Sum Raj said...

baigan withn coconut milk sounds intreresting...looks temepting too....like to have them with hot rice too..

Anonymous said...

R u from Kerala? This dish sounds too much like that.

Anonymous said...

mouthwatering indeed. I like your blog it doesnt have any advertisements and you have kept it very simple and neat.

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe.

Anonymous said...

I remember my sister when I see this dish she makes curry like this.

Anonymous said...

Similar to the one I make good recipe.

Anonymous said...

mmm this dish tastes great with dosa, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like yenna kathirika very much thank you

Anonymous said...

good recipe when you add tamarind with Brinjals they come out really well mmm.

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Ramya i tried yours baigan recipe yesterday. Came out fantastic. Had it with rice. Goes well with rice. It was yummy.

Next Previous home
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails