Next Previous home

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Vegetable Biriyani

mmm, What to cook for lunch??? I decided on making a Teff bread but unfortunately I dont have Teff Flour (the idea of Teff bread came to mind while I was watching History channel). I was in no mood for a shopping spree now and I was lazy too so thought of finishing off lunch quickly I had Carrots and Lima Beans so why not ahem Veg Biriyani the easy way I mean in just 20 mins (I did the chopping while things were cooking on the stove).



Ingredients:

Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 large
Carrot - 1 medium
Lima Beans - 1/2 cup
Chilli Pwd - 1 tbsp
Green Chillied - 2 slit in the middle
Turmeric Pwd - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Pwd - 1 tbsp
Cumin Pwd - 1/2 tbsp
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 3 cloves
Cloves - 2 nos.
Cinnamon Stick - abt an inch
Cardamom - 2 nos.
Bay Leaves - 2 nos.
Cooking Oil - 3 tbsps
Cashewnuts - 2 tbsps

Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Water - 4 1/4 cups

Garnishing:

Bread - 1 slice
Butter
Coriander Leaves few stalks

Method:

1. In a pressure cooker heat Oil add Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom and Bay Leaves - once they change color add the Onions and cook until color changes drop the Green Chillies and Cashews.
2. Crush in the Ginger and Garlic once smell disappears add Chilli Pwd, Turmeric Pwd, Coriander Pwd, Cumin Pwd mix well and cook for 2 mins.
3. Mix in chopped Carrots and Lima Beans and cook with 1/4 cup of Water.
4. Add the chopped Tomatoes and cook until soft and tender. Now mix in the washed Rice and let it absorb the masala.
5. Pour the remaining Water and adjust Salt and cook until the Rice absorbs the Water (now almost all the water would be consumed) close the lid and fix the weight and cook for just 5 mins. 6. Remove the lid and sprinkle Coriander Leaves. Toast a slice of Bread and dab it with Butter, slice it and mix with Rice.



Serve with: Raita or Side Dish

32 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks delicious Ramya.. feel like having it for dinner :(

Unknown said...

Comfort one pot meal!

Anonymous said...

Nice color and a recipe a day uhhh???

Uma said...

mmm. biryani! looks so delicious and rich.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Veg Biriyani looks yum n so delicious Ramya.

Vijitha said...

Looks yummmy ramya!

lubnakarim06 said...

Looks spicy and yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Pavani said...

it looks delicious and colourful

Finla said...

I love vegetable biriyani and this looks really delicious

Anonymous said...

Good looking Biriyani nice color.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Thanks a lot for the encouragment Ramya :) lima beans in briyani, yummy!!!

Bhawana said...

Ramya, biryani looing very tempting yar. moreover in this season u made and posted I am feeling like making this now. addition of lima beans wuud be wonderful for sure. nice entry.

n I added u in orkut.

Usha said...

Perfect comfort food...nice touch using bread to garnish...

Anonymous said...

Hey definitely a nice looking biriyani.

Suganya said...

Comforting dinner for an weeknight. Looks so good. Nice recipe. Love it. YUM!

Sharmi said...

nice looking biryani. my all time favorite:) you have a nice blog.

Sharmi said...

nice looking biryani. my all time favorite:) you have a nice blog.

Anonymous said...

Yummy lip smacking biriyani.

lubnakarim06 said...

A small suprise waiting for you dear.Click on the link to follow Award Time

Deepthi Shankar said...

yummy biryani .. its my favoutite

grace said...

i love the colors of the vegetables scattered throughout your glorious rice. great last-minute dish!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramya ...
Biriyani looks yummy ..I am going to make this for lunch tomorrow ..will let u knw the result ...
love
veena

Anonymous said...

This is an easy recipe for working ppl like me :)

Alexa said...

I would be happy with a nice bowl of this biriyani. It looks great.
I keep teff in my house all the time because I use it in all my gluten free baking. I have never made Ethiopian Injira bread though--it's on my to do list...

Vibaas said...

I have something for you in my blog, dear :)

vidhas said...

looks yummy. There is an award waiting for you in my blog

Unknown said...

Biriyani?I am in...Wow the bread in it..I simply luv it

Malar Gandhi said...

Hi Ramya..i have something for u on my blog..pls check it out..

Purva Desai said...

Biryani looks really good and garnishing it with bread is new for me....its always my fav rice dish item..

I have an award waiting for you on my blog...kindly collect it...

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi, this looks yummy .Moreover, I have a gift for you. Just visit me.

Yasmeen said...

Biryani with all the spices is truly warming on cold winter weather:)

Jo said...

Hi Rayma, I do love briyani and have made it first as well. By the way I have passed you an award - please visit my blog to check it out!

Next Previous home
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails