Next Previous home

Monday, May 4, 2009

Mirchi ka Saalan

Paradise at Hyderabad, is a common name and the most heard name too... Its always good food there, My parents neither werent worried about me going away nor about food cos my Dad had taken me to all the place there yrs before I started my job at Hyderabad... With lotsa new friends and more place to explore for food and sightseeing it was feasting time every other day... I have had food at almost all the road side shops and even big hotels and resort, (Alankrita is one famous resort to visit) in Hyderabad and for Biriyani and Roti they served Mirchi ka Saalan. Mirchi ka Saalan was a name that I never have heard of until I started working at Hyderabad...

I just love the taste of Mirchi ka Saalan, but it was only at restaurants and hotels I had it, my hostel never serve it, anyways we cant expect hostels to serve Mirchi ka Saalan he he... I moved out and took an apartment at Begumpet it was fun and full of excitement, cooking was a pain since we dint have a refridgerator to store milk and other things we happened to cook less and that to with things that dont need a refridgerator to store... That was the time when I became friends with my neighbor, who was totally dead against in letting the house to spinsters cos she was a stay at home Mom who loves to talk and gossip during her mid day free time... Somehow we did become friends and she liked me very much for the simple reason that we shared common interests like cooking, baking, embroidery etc and I spoke Telugu too...

It was a ritual that she invites me when ever she made fish, cos she knows that I love Fish... Once when she invited me she had made Mirchi ka Saalan I was so happy that she invited me cos I had a feast and I learnt how to make this, ever since then when ever I got an opportunity I made this but Kris hates this, sometimes he has to deal with it no other go and one such day is today...



Ingredients:

Long Hots - 7-8 nos.
Onion - 1 small finely chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tbsp
Tamarind - small lime size
Cooking Oil - 3 tbsps
Caraway Seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - a few
Salt to taste
Water

For the paste:

Coconut - 2-3 tbsps
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 5-6 pods
Tomatoes - 2 large

For the powder:

Peanuts - 2 tbsps
Caraway Seeds - 1/4 tsp
White Sesame Seeds - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
Poppy Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies - 4 nos.



Method:

In a pan dry roast all the ingredients for the powder one by one cool it and powder the ingredients and set aside. Add all the ingredients for the paste with some Water and paste it. In a pan add 2 tbsps of Cooking Oil and roast the Long Hots (2 0r 3 at a time). Be cautious while you roast, if you roast on high flames the Long hots will loose their skin and the Oil will splutter.

In the same pan add Caraway Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seedsand Fenugreek Seeds when they pop add the chopped Onions, Turmeric Pwd and Coriander Pwd. After about a minute pour the paste in and let it cook for 4-5 mins (appr.) stirring in between.

Now add the Powder and adjust Salt and add more Water and Chilli Pwd if needed cover and cook for a few more mins. Then drop the roasted Long Hots in them and pour the Tamarind Water to it cover and cook for a couple of mins, garnish with Cilantro.

Serve with: Roti, Biriyani

I am sending this recipe to

Deesha's -- South Indies



Sathya -- Think Spice...think Caraway Seeds"

77 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

I am going to add this chile dish to my list of personal favorites - it looks sooooooo tasty...

Srilakshmi said...

Love Mirchi ka Salan! Would love to try your version :D

Padma said...

Love Mirchi Ka Salan and nice entry ... I never have added caraway seeds... will try ur version very soon :)

Vishali said...

Girl Mirchi Ka Salan looks so tempting and delicious.:)

Trupti said...

mirchi ka salan looks mouthwatering Ramya. Lovely click

Sakshi said...

A zillion thanks to you for this recipe. Like you I ate it from restaurants and even from neighbours in Pune but never asked for the recipe coz I thought will get it free from them for the rest of my life..sigh!!
Am gonna make this for sure and it's such a tongue pleaser..

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks really yummy ramya.. never has this before.. but would to.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow..spicy mirchi ka salaan..I tasted this in Hyderabad only. Its so tasty with briyani. I too was staying in Begumpet area for 2 years when I got married :)

Parita said...

Looks so delicious and yummy...great combination with biryani and raita :)

Nandinis food said...

Spicy and tempting .....Lovely yellow gravy. Tasty Andhra dish!....Interesting memories....Hey, I also love fish :D

Bong Mom said...

I have heard a lot about this dish but never had it, not many restaurants have this on the menu.

Have to make it because it looks great and makes me hungry :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Hi ramya looking so good and i do same but no caraway seeds will try it one day with it.. Lovely picture

chef and her kitchen said...

Lovely Mirch ka salan ramya...prepared long time back..need to do again after seeing yours..lovely entry for the caraway seeds...
ohh ramya neeku telugu vacchu ani naaku teliyadu.

FH said...

Love the color, great entry for both. I will try your version too sometimes.

I tried Mirchi Salan twice, loved the taste. First time I had used Banana chilli peppers, too hot for me, second time I used milder chillies, was so yum! :)

Ashwini said...

Love the spicy Mirch ka salan Yum Yum. Looks delicious. Nice entries.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

That's a very hot and spicy curry Rams...too spicy for me...have tried before ..

Anupama said...

Very inviting Ramya... going to try it soon :-)

Rush said...

looks great...never tried cooking this.
tell me something, which red hots i look out for in the grocery store..like which one shud i specifically as for?

Lavanya said...

lovely mirchi ka salan..looks so spicy n yummy!!

appetitetreats said...

Lovely Dish Ramya ! Thanks for the Entry :)

Indhu said...

looks mouthwatering yummy ... a must-try dish !

Pooja said...

Reading your post takes me back to my work days at Hyderabad..I too loved Paradise and you know what? I stayed at Begumpet too but as a paying guest.
Love this dish..Looks creamy and yummy! Have never tried making it. Would love to :)

Vrinda said...

Never tasted this dish,looks spicy and delicious,will giv it a try...

kittymatti said...

wow! Will have to try this next! Super pic!

Pooja said...

Wow Yummy dish Ramya..Looks great..

Mangala Bhat said...

wow! nice one .was looking for this dish ..Thanks for sharing ..:) lovely clicks

Chef Jeena said...

My hubby would love this recipe! I love the way you presented it. :-)

Priyameena said...

I can feel the spice here ramya..Wonderful entry..

VineelaSiva said...

Wow nice dish ramya i too love this curry.i tried this curry once anyway ihave to cook agn ydy i too bought long mirchiis.Nice post ramya.

Sujatha said...

Perfect timing Ramya! Just this weekend I enjoyed this in a restaurant buffet and I was trying to guess the ingredients from the taste :) I'm so glad I got the recipe! Will try soon.. :)

Priya Suresh said...

Rich mirchi ka salan looks too gorgeous Ramya, prefect entry for both events:)

mommys cuisine said...

:) I've posted a chicken dum biryani recipe earlier in my blog and went lazy to blog mirchi ka salan. Looks like I'll redirect a link to your post :)) yummy mirchi ka salan ramya. I miss paradise biryani :(

Hey do you know paradise, hyderabad is just launched at edison, oak tree road. Its called paradise pointe.

Priya Sriram said...

Super hot and super yummy Ramya! Btw, the header looks nice and refreshing! :)

Savi-Ruchi said...

ditto ditto Ramya, I love it & my hubby doesn't even bother to lick it once :p
I would love to take a bite now :)

Prema Sundar said...

Never had a chance to taste this dish.. but have heard abt it ..looks nice and would love to try it out sometime

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow this is my all time favourite....Looks spicy and yum....Nice entry dear...

lubnakarim06 said...

Yummy Header....

Uma said...

mmm. mirchi Ka saalan! Looks so mouth-watering. Never tried it at home. Yummy :)

Ammu said...

Mouthwatering dish. Nice clik.... U r rocking.

Unknown said...

Lovely recipe Ramya!

Chutneytales said...

Your mirch ka salan is tempting me..Nice clicks!

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely yummy recipe dear...am in hyderabad......we visit paradise very often....

Finla said...

My tounge is tincking , just looking to that delicous curry, wish i had hem with plain rice, just writting the comment i am drooling :-)

aquadaze said...

this is my absolute fave as a side dish with biryani...yum!

Kalyani said...

love this curry with biryani's .. yummy yummy .... Thanks for sharing ramya....

Renuka said...

mirchi ka salan looks great..i love hot dishes...will try it out...

veena said...

Remya ..
Love the dish..looks very delicious.keep in touch
love
veena

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Ramya, talk about a "hot" dish! Sounds like my kind of food. Anything with chiles is perfect for the Southwest. Did you know that chiles help clear up the sinuses for people with allergies? I love it. Thank you my friend.

AnuSriram said...

Wow!!! Ramya, this looks absolutely delicious! Just right to kick off my taste buds.. Hot and spicy!

ARUNA said...

awesome dish Ramya................i sooooooooo miss paradise!

Anonymous said...

Ramya,this is a precious recipe to me..Mirchi ka salan..was always in search of this..looks real yummy !!

Sum Raj said...

looks too good..

Shreya said...

yum yum! love the recipe. never tried salan before..

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

WOnderful recipe. Those chilies make the dish look so spicy but the gravy sobers things down I guess.

Sumathi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.. U have a cool space too.. DH loves this dish.. Will surely give it a try now..

Avisha said...

Looks yummy and am sure to try this one.We Sindhi's make something similar to this one.

Archana Vivek said...

Wow sounds interesting. I have never tasted nor even tried. I should surely try one day...

Sharmila said...

I have heard so much about mirchi ka salan .. now I can make one thanks to you Ramya. :-)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmirchi ka saalan-great!! It looks awesome too.
Thanks for visiting my blog:)Glad you stopped by otherwise I would have never found your blog!!

Vegetarian Zest said...

My mouth is watering. Can't take my eyes off the screen.

Chitra said...

ooooooooh, spicy, hot dish:)Feel like licking it now;)

sangeeta said...

thanks for dropping by........this mirchi salan is one authentic hyderabadi dish........i love it........your's is perfect.

Malini Basu said...

thanks for dropping by...u have a lovely collection of blogs...

Bharathy said...

I love anything with chillies, as my blog name says :)..have never tried mirch ka salan, though..
Lovely recipe.. :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Ramya, we have so much in common, the anecdote really talked about me, he he.

Yeah I too lived in Hyd, can speak Telugu...eaten food from all road side to big restaurants...always had outside food, love paradise!! Had a big big friends circle. Still cherish those days. Lived alone, first in hostel then moved to apartment, it was not easy to find one...coz' people never want spinsters as neighbors.
Had no fridge...so cook limited!! Again...my owner invites me for pooja, food allt he time. I learnt this salan from her...

What a great great wild coinsidence!!:) Wish I had met you back then.

Laavanya said...

I've heard so much about the mirch ka salan and biryani combination but haven't had the luck to taste that so far.. looks delicious.

Archy said...

Wow, spicy spicy ho gravy, looks so gud.. gud entry !!

Vibaas said...

that looks very tempting Ramya :)

Suparna said...

Hi Ramya,
The dish looks great, I've heard a lot abt it and have chef Marut sikka's recipe for the same too! somehow eating the gravied hots make me sweat :( not couragerous enough to nibble on it :)
Looks well made Ramya, nice click
Enjoy!
TC

Unknown said...

wow...this looks so inviting...shall try it soon.

kalpana said...

wowwww...looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

i have had this Mirch ka salan at a friend's place few years back.will surely try it out..

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

yummy yum and tempting.

Yasmeen said...

The spicy salad brings back lot of memories of my hometown,I miss so much:)

Ashwini said...

wow..love mirchi ka saalan..looking forward to try it...

Unknown said...

oohhh perfect gravy looks so delicious love to have this with hyd. pulao mmm yum

TBC said...

I think I've had this once and remember liking it a lot.

It looks very good but does seem like a lot of work. :D

Shabs.. said...

U know what, this is one dish that i heard alot about....wanted to know is it really really spicy as it sounds?want to try this one....Urs looks better than the one i recently saw on a cookery show prepared by a Chef....It really looks tempting dear..

Next Previous home
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails